Lots of people get very freaked out by maternity clothes. The book "What to Expect When You're Expecting" even quotes a mother-to-be, "I can't squeeze into my jeans anymore, but I dread buying maternity clothes."
I, on the other hand, have enjoyed stocking up on some fabulous goods to wear while sporting my baby bump! Before I started shopping, I did come up with a game plan though.
1. Buy transitional items. Items that I will be able to layer for late Winter and also wear into the Spring and Summer.
2. Buy items that will grow with me. I do not want to be out trying to buy clothes in June.
3. Plan for big events during your pregnancy. Best friend's shower, my baby shower, friend's baby shower, Best friend's rehearsal dinner. Business dinners. Holidays. Birthdays. Babymoon. (I'm the world's worst at waiting until the late minute to buy a dress or outfit for something & I know it will be harder to do with a growing belly so I'm stocking the closet early to avoid fashion-drama.)
4. Don't forget your daily routine. I no longer work in an office so thankfully I don't have to worry about work clothes but I knew I needed to make sure I had lots of leggings, jeans, t-shirts (long sleeve & short), tank tops for layering and gym clothes.
5. Barefoot & Pregnant? I don't think so. Shoes are important. They need to be comfortable, versatile and not too tall. Balance quickly becomes a problem (or at least for me it did) and I don't need to increase my chances of falling so I've been sticking to my Revas and riding boots most days. But of course it's not a bad idea to have a pair of comfy heels in the closet for date nights or dinner parties.
My Pregnancy Basics.
1. Black Wrap Dress aka The Early/After Dress. Mine is by Japanese Weekend. With different jewelry and shoes, you can wear this to everything from church to a cocktail party.
2. Additional Classic Dress. I own the navy dress to the right by A Pea in the Pod. This dress fits great and I know it would come in handy when I'm dressing for showers and parties.
3. Bold Piece. Treat yourself to a trendy item that you fall in love with. I found this Maternal America kimono dress at a local boutique in Kirkwood, MO but it's also available on Nordstom.com. This dress is a great example of a transitional item. Wear the dress with leggings and a black long sleeve tee under it for a casual dinner during Winter months. When the temperatures starts rising, wear it with bare arms and legs with a cute sandal by day and peep-toe and bangles by night.
4. Splurge Item. Designer denim. It's worth it. Most people can wear the same pair throughout their entire pregnancy. I purchased these Kelly Bootcut jeans by Citizens of Humanity with the (trademarked) Secret Fit Belly panel at Destination Maternity. I had my tailor adjust the length with original hem and I would be lost without them. They are comfortable. They make me feel great and they work for daytime with tshirts and dinners out with cute tops. I also plan to order a pair of skinny ankle jeans for Spring and also a pair of white jeans. No need to explain. I also love the True Religion maternity jeans. I will tell you I purchased a pair of Rock & Republic "early/after" jeans and I hated them! Just embrace the belly panel, you'll thank yourself over and over again. I have to thank Erin for the advice to find the closest Destination Maternity and to not leave without a pair of Citizens! Thanks, friend!
5. Leggings. God's gift to pregnant women. Okay, all women! My two favorites: The (trademarked) Secret Fit Belly leggings at Destination Maternity (I own in black & gray) & the BeMaternity Seamless leggings.
6. Tunics. I own these two by Michael Stars. I found the cowlneck dress (mine is bright pink) at the boutique in Kirkwood but you can find it here at Belly Dance Maternity. I adore the girls at Belly Dance, they are just as sweet as can be! The cowlneck tunic in Spice can be purchased here at Destination Maternity.
7. Tees & Tanks. I have a few from A Pea in the Pod, one from Destination Maternity, a couple from Liz Lange for Target but my #1 pick for tees and tanks is the American favorite The Gap! I have to thank my newest friend, Colleen over at Pink Holidaze for giving me the 411 on her favorite maternity items (one being Gap tees), infant seats and her hairdresser!
8. Gym clothes. Each to their own but I'm not wearing my husband's pants to work out in or ever for that matter (okay, I will wear his fleece pajama pants from time to time but inside my house and that's it). Lucky for me, Zulily had Fit2bMom on giant sale a few weeks ago and I landed these three items for near to nothing. Again, hoodie for now. Tank for later.
My Bookmarks of Maternity Shops:
Target Maternity: Online carries other brands the store does not. i.e., Moody Mamas, Cocoon Maternity, BeMaternity
This post may contain affiliate links and/or sponsored content, please read my disclosure policy here.