This post is thanks to a sweet Twitter follower - she has a private profile so she'll remain nameless but she knows who she is. Last week I asked everyone what they were having for dinner because I was at a loss as to what to cook that day. I received a link to this Cajun Chicken Pasta recipe from Southern Living via myrecipes.com. It was SO easy to make and a GIANT success with my husband!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 12 ounces uncooked linguine
- 2 pounds chicken breast strips
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced*
- 1 small green bell pepper, thinly sliced*
- 1 (8-oz.) package fresh mushrooms
- 2 green onions (white and light green parts only), sliced*
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Garnish: chopped green onions
Everything reallllly good starts with butter, right!?
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
2. Sprinkle chicken evenly with Cajun seasoning and 1 tsp. salt. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken, and sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until done.
3. Add bell peppers, mushrooms, and green onions to skillet, and sauté 9 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and liquid evaporates.
4. Return chicken to skillet; stir in half-and-half, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring often, over medium-low heat 3 to 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Add linguine; toss to coat. Garnish, if desired, and serve immediately.
*1/2 (16-oz.) bag frozen sliced green, red, and yellow bell peppers and onion may be substituted. For testing purposes only, we used Birds Eye Pepper Stir-Fry.
- I added quite a bit more Cajun seasoning to mine than the recipe called for. I added more in the beginning before cooking the chicken, as well as sprinkled more on top after I tossed the mixture in the serving bowl. I think my Cajun seasoning might be lame.
- I added a little more butter in the beginning because... well no reason, just because I figured a little more butter will make it all the more tasty!
- I added red pepper flakes to the top of JH's serving because he has no taste buds ;)
Original location & author of this recipe: Lilann Hunter Taylor, Savannah, Georgia, Southern Living, MAY 2007
While we're talking about Southern Living - During September ONLY Willow House is offering a fabulous deal!!
You can get a 2 year subscription of Southern Living Magazine for JUST $20!!! There is NO additional purchase required! How great is that! You'll have access to the best recipes and design ideas available, AND just in time for the holidays!
Email Callie if you're interested, and she'll get your order in today!
And click here to check out today's Target Tuesday featuring my picks from the John Derian for Target line.
This post may contain affiliate links and/or sponsored content, please read my disclosure policy here.